HELP! EX4 - Grill temp doesn't match my Thermopro temp

Deckwalker

Reaction score
Grill
EX4
Hi all, new here, and I have a question on grill temp. First off, I really like my EX4, bought it Sept 18.

I've installed an additional thermometer, right next to Weber's built-in thermometer, to monitor grill temp. Tuesday night I did my first full-packer brisket. Throughout the cook the EX4 app and dashboard showed 250 degrees. My Thermopro showed a lot of variability, but generally hovered around 225.

When I bring the grill up to full temp, 600, it heats up super fast and then tells me it's reached temp. The app and dashboard report 600 degrees, but again, on the Thermopro is never goes above about 525. I've checked my Thermopro's accuracy and it's within 3 degrees.

Any thoughts? Is this just normal variability, or is there an issue with the grill?

Hi all, new here, and I have a question on grill temp. First off, I really like my EX4, bought it Sept 18.

I've installed an additional thermometer, right next to Weber's built-in thermometer, to monitor grill temp. Tuesday night I did my first full-packer brisket. Throughout the cook the EX4 app and dashboard showed 250 degrees. My Thermopro showed a lot of variability, but generally hovered around 225.

When I bring the grill up to full temp, 600, it heats up super fast and then tells me it's reached temp. The app and dashboard report 600 degrees, but again, on the Thermopro is never goes above about 525. I've checked my Thermopro's accuracy and it's within 3 degrees.

Any thoughts? Is this just normal variability, or is there an issue with the grill?
I am used to the difference between the Weber ambient probe and my Maverick being 15-20 degrees or so,. Yet, when I put a separate Weber ambient probe into probe port #4, and put it near the grill probe, they read less than 5-10 degrees different. I tend to attribute it to the fact that very few temperature probes, except those designed for precision scientific uses, are really linear across their entire range, especially at the upper and lower ranges.

Besides, when smoking a variance of 15-25 degrees is seldom critical any more than searing at 550 vs. 600F

Last edited:
I am used the difference between the Weber ambient probe and my Maverick being 15-20 degrees different. Yet, when Input a separate Weber ambient probe into probe port #4, and put it near the grill probe, they read less than 5-10 degrees different. I tend to attribute it to the fact that very few temperature probes, except those designed for precision scientific uses, are really linear across their entire range, especially at the upper and lower ranges.

Besides, when smoking a variance of 15-25 degrees is seldom critical any more than searing at 550 vs. 600F
Thanks.

Look for some of my posts about the difference between air and the SF probe. Most are under a heading with 4042 firmware. And, yes, I still see differences with all of the updates and I see the loss of temp set points. These issues can be unique to me or a select few.

Last edited:
Something I don't see mentioned very often is convection. Since there is a fan blowing air into the cooker, I'm pretty sure the grill cooks a lot like a convection oven. If that's the case, cooking at a set temperature would cook way faster than you are expecting. I'm under the impression the temp controller factors in convection to cook at the temperature you want instead of what it actually is... either that or the probe placement is just perfect enough to read a little high and that makes up the convection difference.

I've never seen it advertised that Weber peeps factored convection into the controller, but it makes total sense to me. The one time I tried chasing the temp to cook at 250° as indicated by my separate probe, I set the controller to 275° so that my probe was showing around 250-260. My cook finished a few hours earlier than I was expecting, as though I was actually cooking at 275°

Now I just set the controller to where I want the temp, and I ignore the separate probe. I basically just use it for redundancy to make sure the controller isn't showing anything extreme, like 50°+/- difference

Now I just set the controller to where I want the temp, and I ignore the separate probe. I basically just use it for redundancy to make sure the controller isn't showing anything extreme, like 50°+/- difference
I continue to have problems. I will be posting something in another thread about the new updates. Here is an example of what I have been seeing - a 70 degree difference. And I have done all the checks of probes. They are identical until the PID takes over.

IMG_2260.jpg

Yikes, that's a lot lower. Mine pretty consistently runs about 25 degrees lower. I'll need to check it again at high heat.

I continue to have problems. I will be posting something in another thread about the new updates. Here is an example of what I have been seeing - a 70 degree difference. And I have done all the checks of probes. They are identical until the PID takes over.

View attachment 2260
That is what I too got on my last cook.

Back