HELP! EX4/6 on recall

Rosterking6

Reaction score
Grill
EX6
Does anyone know if current owners will receive replacements? I know for a fact that they are being pulled from store shelves and out of warehouses, but I can’t find any information online or on their website.

There is no recall. The are rumors of units in the big box stores being return to the factory where they will be refurbished with the same parts that we all have received from Weber. This allows Weber to assemble the units, not the purchaser.

What have you received? I had to replace my glow plug when it went out, but I didn’t know about any other parts.

There is a hopper insert that changes the angle of the hopper back wall (right wall as you look at the front). This is more pronounced on the EX6 than the EX4. It has been debated if this is really necessary. There is a single piece welded pellet chute. This replaces a multi-piece unit that had a gasket. It changes the angle that the pellets fall. This is necessary. Some have received new augers which were implicated in mushing pellets. It is unclear on this piece if this makes a difference.

I got a new hopper for my EX4 and a new thermometer because I got some temperature loss periodically. I also got a new auger.

I just bought an EX6 and requested the new parts from Weber. They were sent the next day. My auger assembly included an auger motor and it was all assembled when I received it. My grill was a floor model already assembled which I'm sure is why it wasn't sent back. I haven't seen any others available at any of the big box stores in my area.

Weber will always do right by the customer. Always.

Smokefire is about to Launch here in Australia and NZ. I’ve been following the Weber Australia page . They have mentioned it’s the updated model and have acknowledged the short comings of the first release . Here are a few threads I’ve screen shot for your info guys. I’ve preordered the EX6. Due for release here in early November .

Attachments

• BE6409B9-41DF-4DC3-B7E6-9EF445AF07CE.png
    BE6409B9-41DF-4DC3-B7E6-9EF445AF07CE.png
    900.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 0610D89A-5306-4279-81A8-D2FC8C2993B4.jpeg
    0610D89A-5306-4279-81A8-D2FC8C2993B4.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 39AF7B02-69F0-468B-9119-BD03F593198B.jpeg
    39AF7B02-69F0-468B-9119-BD03F593198B.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 51
Smokefire is about to Launch here in Australia and NZ. I’ve been following the Weber Australia page . They have mentioned it’s the updated model and have acknowledged the short comings of the first release . Here are a few threads I’ve screen shot for your info guys. I’ve preordered the EX6. Due for release here in early November .
These “update enhancements” sound like what have already been provided to the registered owners her stateside: welded auger assembly, hopper insert, spare glow plug, firmware and software updates that, like updates for your computer, are routinely released and downloaded by Bluetooth and WiFi.

I might be missing something, but this sounds more like a reassuring marketing piece and the “new and improved” SF is simply being released with all of the upgrades pre-installed rather than a significant redesign and release of “Generation 2 Smoke Fire”. It will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
These “update enhancements” sound like what have already been provided to the registered owners her stateside: welded auger assembly, hopper insert, spare glow plug, firmware and software updates that, like updates for your computer, are routinely released and downloaded by Bluetooth and WiFi.

I might be missing something, but this sounds more like a reassuring marketing piece and the “new and improved” SF is simply being released with all of the upgrades pre-installed rather than a significant redesign and release of “Generation 2 Smoke Fire”. It will be interesting to see.
No it’s not that. Weber was selling updated gen 1 models for months before this reboot started. They are doing some sort of minor redesign to some components I believe.

No it’s not that. Weber was selling updated gen 1 models for months before this reboot started. They are doing some sort of minor redesign to some components I believe.
Any idea what? My EX4 has been working flawlessly for over 60 uses without any upgrades (the welded auger us still in the box waiting an install) so it is hard to imagine what type of redesign is taking place. I bought mine in late June and it had no updated parts pre-installed.

Also it would seem that, we’re it significant, they could have a lot of original owners demanding a recall and even inviting an enhanced class action suit.

Well , as you stated, the original is working fine. My EX4 is great. I did remove he wire and replace the auger after the original started to delaminate. So no to a recall.
I dint know for sure but I’ve heard changes to the hopper, chute and auger etc. how significant, I don’t know. Most of the pellet companies have done the same within a year of launching their high tech releases.
I assume it will be somewhat “better” or “improved” but how significantly remains to be seen. I’m happy with my current model so hopefully it’s not so awesome I have to buy another one 🤣

Well , as you stated, the original is working fine. My EX4 is great. I did remove he wire and replace the auger after the original started to delaminate. So no to a recall.
I dint know for sure but I’ve heard changes to the hopper, chute and auger etc. how significant, I don’t know. Most of the pellet companies have done the same within a year of launching their high tech releases.
I assume it will be somewhat “better” or “improved” but how significantly remains to be seen. I’m happy with my current model so hopefully it’s not so awesome I have to buy another one 🤣
Same here, and the Australian posts really didn’t mention any new “things” other than alluding to the parts Weber has already provided. “‘Tis a puzzlement”...

Latest Discussions

Back