Emptying Pellets

Riddle4x4

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4
I’ve switched out pellets 3 times since I bought the EX4 last month and it’s a mess every time. Most of them will fall straight down into a 5 gallon bucket, but I still have a bunch fall to the side and miss the bucket completely. That rear leg seems to get in the way of positioning a bucket right under the chute.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Maybe it’s better in the EX6 because the chute is further away from the leg?

I’m thinking about building a jig out of cardboard to funnel things into a bucket. I haven’t tried hanging the bucket closer to the chute because I’m not sure how much weight that pellet hopper can hold at that angle.

I only emptied them once. I can’t remember if it was a mess or not.

Yeah, I lost some for sure. Not a huge deal. I only dumped them when I switched auger and chute assembly and one other time for a deep clean.

I’ve switched out pellets 3 times since I bought the EX4 last month and it’s a mess every time. Most of them will fall straight down into a 5 gallon bucket, but I still have a bunch fall to the side and miss the bucket completely. That rear leg seems to get in the way of positioning a bucket right under the chute.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Maybe it’s better in the EX6 because the chute is further away from the leg?

I’m thinking about building a jig out of cardboard to funnel things into a bucket. I haven’t tried hanging the bucket closer to the chute because I’m not sure how much weight that pellet hopper can hold at that angle.
I change pellets quite often, and have found that by using a small step stool that I can easily position my Kingsford Charcoal storage bins ( I have 5, one for each flavor) on that stool directly under the slide gate. I seldom, if ever have any ground cleanup, and they are then back in the same container “ from whence they came”.

Plus, each container can hold up to two bags (40#) of pellets and are quite air tight.

I change pellets quite often, and have found that by using a small step stool that I can easily position my Kingsford Charcoal storage bins ( I have 5, one for each flavor) on that stool directly under the slide gate. I seldom, if ever have any ground cleanup, and they are then back in the same container “ from whence they came”.

Plus, each container can hold up to two bags (40#) of pellets and are quite air tight.
Awesome just picked up couple for that exact reason.

I tend to empty anytime I’m not going to use mine for few days or if rain in forecast, or also switching between different types. I was using buckets and had the same issue so I started emptying into my scoop then dropping in bucket. I now have some of the Buddeeez charcoal caddies too and raising them up works well. Just don‘t accidentally shut the lid :)

You can empty pellets?? Just kidding...🙂

I have yet to switch pellets. What is the burn time to remove the existing pellets in the chute/auger? This would be the amount of time I would want to wait before putting my meat on.

I was planning on emptying about 6 lbs of apple pellets from the hopper, so I can put a full bag of Weber Hickory. I wanted to try an overnight smoke on a pork shoulder this weekend. I guess I could just mix it all in, but I'm testing out different pellets to see what I like the most. Or I could just burn what I have on some steaks....drink a beer....and let the problem solve itself.

I would suspect the flush time of the chute and auger would definitely be tide to the temperature setting and outdoor temperature. I am thinking it would take 30 plus minutes to flush the chute/auger.

I realize I am far less ocd than many of you. 🤣

I have yet to switch pellets. What is the burn time to remove the existing pellets in the chute/auger? This would be the amount of time I would want to wait before putting my meat on.
Obviously it would depend on the temperature set-point for the SF.

But, if I empty the pellets through the slide drop, then scoop out the one or two handfuls remaining back through the drop, close the gate , and refill with the desired flavor, by the time the unit comes up to temp at 225F or so the old pellets have almost all been used....just my opinion barring a science method experiment. Something I am inpatient to do when I am hunger and have an adult beverage in my hand

Back