Electric connection issues

tippersjersey

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire 4
Hi All
I have a EX4 which i purchased this summer, few issues, replaced glow plug once, several resets and lots of burn outs but when it works i love it.
The issue is I prep'd 2 racks of pork ribs to cook today. Went to switch on the smokefire and its switched on but then the screen started flashing on and off like there was a loose connection, its not just on the screen as when the unit comes back on it says it has to follow shut down ,then a few seconds later flashes off and on again. I have tried different plugs, different power cable etc so definitely the unit. I have also checked all connections etc and cables behind the control unit but couldn't identify any loose connections. Any ideas please.
ps i will contact weber on monday but as I live on Jersey in the Channel Islands takes a whiles to get postage here.
Cheers
Tim

It might be going through a reboot. Did you leave it alone for a few minutes?

Hi JpsBBQ
thanks for the response. left if for a while, doesnt feel like a reboot as it drops out of power every few seconds and then startsfrom scratch again

Sounds like you’d better contact customer service. Wish I had an answer. Good luck.

Have you tried running it through the recovery mode via a controller reset? It sounds like your unit is stuck in a “do loop”

Instructions are on-line and on the Weber.com site? Essentially it is a factory reset which is performed by holding down the three buttons on the side while turning off the power switch and then powering it back on. After that your will probably need to reinstall the firmware and software.

If that does not work you probably have a bad control board as it is not going through its power in test sequence.

I’d try the factory reset like Dassman5 suggested, if that doens’t fix it prob will take Weber customer service to get you replacement parts.

thanks for suggestion, tried factory reset but the unit doesnt stay on log enough without flashing off and on
Sounds like a bad control board. Hopefully a Weber support tech can quickly diagnose the problem.

Hi, thanks for the responses
I spoke to Weber support in the UK, the chaps name was Tab, i have spoken to him previously and he is excellent.
He asked me to check if the green lights were light on the control board and following some discussion it appears that its the control unit. He also offered to send the complete wiring loom for the control panel in case it was that. Should take a week or so to get to me and will update you then on how i get on
kind regards
Tim

I spoke to Weber support in the UK, the chaps name was Tab, i have spoken to him previously and he is excellent.
He asked me to check if the green lights were light on the control board and following some discussion it appears that its the control unit. He also offered to send the complete wiring loom for the control panel in case it was that. Should take a week or so to get to me and will update you then on how i get on
kind regards
Tim
❤️ Weber customer service.

kind regards
Tim
Hope that solves it!

Hi All,
Received the new controller and cable last night. installed and the EX seems to be working fine control unit now. Did a couple of test heat ups at different temps and unfortunately had a heat drop on one, gave the pellets a jiggle and heat cam up again so ongoing bridging issue i have had previously. At least its working now though.
Also nice surprise, Weber sent a complimentary bag of pellets with the controller which was a very nice gesture.

Hi All,
Received the new controller and cable last night. installed and the EX seems to be working fine control unit now. Did a couple of test heat ups at different temps and unfortunately had a heat drop on one, gave the pellets a jiggle and heat cam up again so ongoing bridging issue i have had previously. At least its working now though.
Also nice surprise, Weber sent a complimentary bag of pellets with the controller which was a very nice gesture.
If you have not removed the wire guard above the chute, please do so. Also the new welded chute is a straighter version and also helps eliminate any issues. I also concluded I have better results using the Weber pellets as they are a smaller diameter than some of the other brands. I have no bridging issues since doing these simple things. Good luck.

Thanks JPSBBQ
I have already removed the wire guard and am using weber pellets. I am not sure which chute i have however. I bought the EX in august this year and it had the updated ramp in the pellet silo but not sure on the chute. Is their any way of telling if i have the new welded one or not?

Thanks JPSBBQ
I have already removed the wire guard and am using weber pellets. I am not sure which chute i have however. I bought the EX in august this year and it had the updated ramp in the pellet silo but not sure on the chute. Is their any way of telling if i have the new welded one or not?
If it’s a gen 1 and you didn’t replace it yourself I think it’s the old one. Gen 2 should be installed for you.

Back