Dreaded E3 on initial cook

MrPhilGrillTX

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6 (+ a kettle from 2003)
So 30 minutes into my first cook on the EX6, I get a flame out error. The hopper is full and it even sounds like it is slouching pellets down the ramp.
At this point i think it has been shutting down for about 30 minutes. Smoke is still coming out. I was trying to smoke a whole pork loin for dinner tonight with friends, but that might not happen on this bad boy.
I’m feeling like I have a $1000 junk pile. I’m using it on my back patio, and it isn’t terribly level, the back is lower than the front. Does that matter? Any other suggestions?

It’s definitely putting pellets into the fire pot.
Also, it seems to be impossible to search for E3 on here as the search engine says that’s too short.

It will keep shutting down until it reaches a temp that it thinks is cool.......
How uneven of a setting?

I didn’t register that the grill wasn’t level until I put water in the water smoke thing and the back was full but the front was 3/8-1/2” below the rim.
it was on smoke boost when it flamed out, but has been running fine since then.

There have been reports of flameouts on SB when it is cooler (below 40 degrees). But there is no consensus on the cause other than speculation on the PID coding in the new software group.

I don’t think the level issue would cause this. However if you want to fix that you can buy the casters a lot of us have bought. I was able to level mine 1/2” left to right.

That sucks. I haven’t used Smokeboost for a while since the last updates. I’ve also notice that on iPhone the notifications only work for me if I open the app now. Pretty pointless if have to open the app every couple minutes to see if there are alerts.

It’s definitely putting pellets into the fire pot.
Also, it seems to be impossible to search for E3 on here as the search engine says that’s too short.
E3 is in your owner's manual

That sucks. I haven’t used Smokeboost for a while since the last updates. I’ve also notice that on iPhone the notifications only work for me if I open the app now. Pretty pointless if have to open the app every couple minutes to see if there are alerts.
I noticed same issue this weekend. No notifications unless I opened the app.

The one thing is pellet void. once you get pellet void, no pellets. that is why they give you that stupid plastic tool.

I knew E3 was in my manual, and the app helpful told me the same thing but not what to do if it takes 30 minutes to shutdown or if it still sounds like it is putting pellets in the hopper.

Since it was 36 degrees or so, I’m wondering if the air was so cold it confused the temp sensor into thinking the flame went out when it hadn’t.
Anyway, the reported grill temperature is a fantasy as far as I can tell. No way it stays that stable.

The PID that drives the controller "averages" everything. Many of us that have been using the SF long term run an air probe to get a better idea what the unit is doing.

In addition, several people are have troubles with the latest software update at temps below 40 degrees.

it was on smoke boost when it flamed out, but has been running fine since then.
Since it was 36 degrees or so, I’m wondering if the air was so cold it confused the temp sensor into thinking the flame went out when it hadn’t.

I've given up with SmokeBoost in the cold. It's the only time I've had trouble with the SmokeFire. There is definitely a bug in the software wherein it believes the fire is out due to the cold when in fact there is still fire burning in the fire pot. To add insult to injury, the E3 shutdown process seems to take 2-3 times as long as a normal shutdown which feels like forever when you're trying to finish a cook.

Since I've been having issues, I've just set the temp to 200 instead of using the SmokeBoost and that's been working just fine. It tastes like I'm getting the same amount of smoke and the grill doesn't flame out because it's got a set temperature.

Good luck and happy smoking.

I've given up with SmokeBoost in the cold. It's the only time I've had trouble with the SmokeFire. There is definitely a bug in the software wherein it believes the fire is out due to the cold when in fact there is still fire burning in the fire pot. To add insult to injury, the E3 shutdown process seems to take 2-3 times as long as a normal shutdown which feels like forever when you're trying to finish a cook.

Since I've been having issues, I've just set the temp to 200 instead of using the SmokeBoost and that's been working just fine. It tastes like I'm getting the same amount of smoke and the grill doesn't flame out because it's got a set temperature.

Good luck and happy smoking.
I have exactly same issues. 4-5 times tested the smokeboost and it failed everytime. So no more smoke boost on bad weather/winter time for me.

Honestly, I have never used smokeboost, just set the PID at 200 and let it go. I ran my with a 20F ambient and windy last night for 2 hrs at 235F setpoint. No issues what so ever, temp swings were a little exaggerated but ran fine. Since all the upgrades I have to say the SF has been working well. Waiting on the next software update to see how that helps or hurts the performance of the SF.

Back