Didn’t know which thread to put this in . Does anyone use a small shop vac to clean out the smokefire ?

Wismokes

Reaction score
Grill
Ex6, wsm, bge
Looking for a small one that will fit in my outside “grill cabinet “

yes. Mine is a shop vac. Get a vacuum bag for it to keep the dust down.

857F1D3A-F16B-424B-98A6-4656F621A156.png

That shop vac has been great so far.
I also have a larger Ridgid that I love!!

Last edited:
Do you guys clean directly under the firebox where the ash falls? I noticed that I am starting to get a buildup there. I just never thought of cleaning there. Is the fan supposed to move that ash along into the tray?

Do you guys clean directly under the firebox where the ash falls? I noticed that I am starting to get a buildup there. I just never thought of cleaning there. Is the fan supposed to move that ash along into the tray?
Usually vacuuming the firebox removes most of the heavier ash in there for me. I did a thorough clean out 3 weeks ago took apart firepot and scraped some buildup back into the ash drawer (push back towards rear of Smokefire).

As far as if ash is supposed to fall through there....perhaps the heavier ash does at lower fan speeds, since the airflow comes from beneath the fire grate though I’m not even sure that occurs at all. I believe what happens is the air flows from beneath the fire grate upward, and blows ash out of the firepot into the barrel, and the reason we see ash in the drawer is from some blowing through the grease drain holes into the drawer. Since it’s lighter than grease it winds up in the drawer carried by airflow where the grease drips straight down into the grease pan.

I have an old 5 gallon Craftsman Shopvac. I break down the Smokefire, wipe out all the grease. Then run the shopvac. I rinse the grates and put them in the dishwasher. Once the grates a done in the dishwasher.....I put the SmokeFire back togehter. Then wipe the outside down. Replace the tray, put on the cover. Ready for BBQ

Check out this. I have one in my outdoor cabinet and it is used just for my grills. Works great and very light. No need for wheels. SNOJOE Electric ash vacuum. Model ASHJ202E. Also use this for my outdoor fireplace. Used it for 2 years with no issues.

Back