Correct positioning of pellet slide to fire pot?

Reaction score
I’ve seen people posting comments and pictures about the correct positioning of the pellet slide (from auger to the fire pot) both above and below the rail that supports the flavorizer bars.

Today I received an email from Weber stating that it is designed to be BELOW the rail, not above it.

Has anyone else received the same, or opposite instructions from Weber?
I asked Weber as after my last cook I noticed pellets behind the slide and resting above the fire pot instead of falling in.

The pictures below were taken as I was a bit surprised at the amount of ash in the bottom of the cooker.This cook was about 7 hours using Lumberjack Hickory @ 225 degrees. I’m out of the Weber pellets, but had similar results with the Weber. It appears as though the approved statement from Weber now is that this is normal and to be expected. I’m a little frustrated as all the marketing indicated that the design was for the ash to collect in the tray. My real world experience is that easily 70+ percent of the ash remains in the cooker. Then I see YouTube video from @trendkillbbq where his cooker has very little ash in the bottom and he is using lumberjack. I’m curious what others experience is.

Attachments

• CE0BF1DA-17AD-4548-8998-3F18FF0A1AD7.jpeg
    CE0BF1DA-17AD-4548-8998-3F18FF0A1AD7.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 5B4F37EC-8B8A-438C-981E-370C54F4EF8A.jpeg
    5B4F37EC-8B8A-438C-981E-370C54F4EF8A.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 9AE9FA6D-8E19-4D67-A06B-1CAF350EF9CD.jpeg
    9AE9FA6D-8E19-4D67-A06B-1CAF350EF9CD.jpeg
    783.1 KB · Views: 269
I’ve seen people posting comments and pictures about the correct positioning of the pellet slide (from auger to the fire pot) both above and below the rail that supports the flavorizer bars.

Today I received an email from Weber stating that it is designed to be BELOW the rail, not above it.

I asked Weber as after my last cook I noticed pellets behind the slide and resting above the fire pot instead of falling in.

The pictures below were taken as I was a bit surprised at the amount of ash in the bottom of the cooker.This cook was about 7 hours using Lumberjack Hickory @ 225 degrees. I’m out of the Weber pellets, but had similar results with the Weber. It appears as though the approved statement from Weber now is that this is normal and to be expected. I’m a little frustrated as all the marketing indicated that the design was for the ash to collect in the tray. My real world experience is that easily 70+ percent of the ash remains in the cooker. Then I see YouTube video from @trendkillbbq where his cooker has very little ash in the bottom and he is using lumberjack. I’m curious what others experience is.
So there has been some debate on where the slide goes, I have had it in front, like you, and it’s been fine, but just watched a Weber video and it shows it behind, so maybe I will change it. I added a snapshot below from the video. Also I have had a few pellets back behind the slide after a couple of cooks but not every time. There was talk that maybe during shutdown when the fan cranks up it may push them back up the slide and get between the slide and auger. Also I have used Weber and Lumberjack pellets and I think it’s about 50/50 for me with the ash. I haven’t noticed any on the food though and it’s a breeze to either push into the tray or vacuum out.
E67995B2-0A4B-4A61-81FD-937FA2E9B776.png

So there has been some debate on where the slide goes, I have had it in front, like you, and it’s been fine, but just watched a Weber video and it shows it behind, so maybe I will change it. I added a snapshot below from the video. Also I have had a few pellets back behind the slide after a couple of cooks but not every time. There was talk that maybe during shutdown when the fan cranks up it may push them back up the slide and get between the slide and auger. Also I have used Weber and Lumberjack pellets and I think it’s about 50/50 for me with the ash. I haven’t noticed any on the food though and it’s a breeze to either push into the tray or vacuum out. View attachment 391
Based on what Weber just said in the email, I’ll reconfigure it this weekend. My pellet hopper insert is supposed to arrive tomorrow in the. For weekend cooking. 👍

Was cleaning mine this morning after a cook last night. Mine is above the rail. I assembled myself, but will change it before the next cook. Thanks for the heads up!

Uhhhh........actually Opposite. When Chris was looking at my pictures I sent before mine was replaced he looked at that. I told him that I had actually been using it with it UNDER it until we had a couple of E6 errors and the last time we tore it apart we did it above the bracket. I cannot see where it would make a HUGE difference unless grease can actually migrate from the bracket to the ramp or if the ramp doesn't have enough slope when installed under it. I would say above might be the safer bet though due to the above two concerns.

Uhhhh........actually Opposite. When Chris was looking at my pictures I sent before mine was replaced he looked at that. I told him that I had actually been using it with it UNDER it until we had a couple of E6 errors and the last time we tore it apart we did it above the bracket. I cannot see where it would make a HUGE difference unless grease can actually migrate from the bracket to the ramp or if the ramp doesn't have enough slope when installed under it. I would say above might be the safer bet though due to the above two concerns.
That was similar to what I was thinking when I installed it. I’ve heard in some cases it made the flavorizer support bar unable to lock down. I guess I’ll try it and see...and if I start having issues maybe go back.

gang I need help received the new auger today went smooth until I went to disconnect the igniter connector didn’t want to come apart finally got it apart but can’t get it snapped into new auger not sure if I broke connector or a parts stuck in there can anyone tell by this pic?

Originally my pellet chute was over the flavorizer shelf but I saw some posts saying it was supposed to be under. I went back to the assembly guide and it didn’t say but based on that It had you install the chute first I assumed maybe it should be under the flavorizer shelf. I’ve had it both ways on couple cooks and haven’t had any issues so I don’t l know what is best now.

I don't either. Not sure it makes any difference????

Moved it below.....

Last edited:
gang I need help received the new auger today went smooth until I went to disconnect the igniter connector didn’t want to come apart finally got it apart but can’t get it snapped into new auger not sure if I broke connector or a parts stuck in there can anyone tell by this pic?
No picture shows up for me.

This is the reply I got from Weber support

“ The pellet slide inside your SmokeFire should be under the flavorizer bar rest.”

This is the reply I got from Weber support

“ The pellet slide inside your SmokeFire should be under the flavorizer bar rest.”
Well that settles it then! It kinda feels like it fits better there and its not bound up. However I thought the comments around it maybe getting grease from the flavorizer support down the chute seemed fairly valid.

You must mean the motor connector. It was a little tough to get out there is a small catch on the side you must pus to get it to release. I removed mine without removing the hopper. If you remove the 4 auger screws and then remove the 2 large screws on television bottom the auger will come out by pivoting the hopper up. Th put in the new one I removed the hopportunity lid and then reversed the process. I did have to remove the pellet slide also. But many fewer steps than they were showing.

Back