Cooking brisket with Kosmos

DoubleBBBQ

Reaction score
Grill
Smoke fire Ex6
I plan on smoking a brisket with the KOSMOS rub/injection shown in my picture. This is the first time I have used this brand. The injection tastes quite salty. If anyone has cooked with this brand before, I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer. I normally dry brine my brisket with a half a teaspoon per pound of kosher salt. This injection makes me question how much salt I should be adding.

Attachments

• CE0961ED-C1A3-4EB2-9B2B-2941D26F157D.jpeg
    CE0961ED-C1A3-4EB2-9B2B-2941D26F157D.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 24
I’ve used it. It’s on par with the Butchers injection. I would not dry brine and inject. Simply inject, wipe excess injection from the surface of the brisket and then apply the rub and cook. The beauty of the Injections is there are phosphates In them which retain moisture in the brisket. It’s scientific magic.

I’ve used it. It’s on par with the Butchers injection. I would not dry brine and inject. Simply inject, wipe excess injection from the surface of the brisket and then apply the rub and cook. The beauty of the Injections is there are phosphates In them which retain moisture in the brisket. It’s scientific magic.
Thanks JpsBBQ! My local Ace Hardware just started stocking it and I’ve read quite a few good reviews. My main concern was making it too salty so thank you for your suggestion. I’ll follow up later with a brief review but it won’t be for a couple of weeks.

All the Kosmos stuff is top shelf. He’s a character but his product is as good as any around. Rubs, sauces, injections are all great. Enjoy!

All the Kosmos stuff is top shelf. He’s a character but his product is as good as any around. Rubs, sauces, injections are all great. Enjoy!
Another concern is the Texas rub being primarily white in color. Will this create the same golden brown bark as other rubs do with color? Or should I be adding I’m thing else?

I have not used that rub by itself, I would personally layer another rub like cow cover on it as well. However, I bet it would be fine either way. The guys in Texas use simply salt and pepper all the time and they get great bark.

Another concern is the Texas rub being primarily white in color. Will this create the same golden brown bark as other rubs do with color? Or should I be adding I’m thing else?
I have no experience with the injection but the Texas beef is great on brisket . I think the pepper in it will help create that color . Also the color will more from just the brisket itself smoking , the pepper may add to that but not like a red rub for like ribs and pork butt

I have not used that rub by itself, I would personally layer another rub like cow cover on it as well. However, I bet it would be fine either way. The guys in Texas use simply salt and pepper all the time and they get great bark.
I was thinking the same. The rub has a lot of sugar and white pepper along with a subtle garlic and onion flavor. I think the sugar itself will create quite a nice bark. Fingers crossed.

Salt and pepper, with a little Garlic Powder and Onion salt is all I ever use. It is “whitish” when applied, but the bark is always dark brown or black after smoking.

Salt and pepper, with a little Garlic Powder and Onion salt is all I ever use. It is “whitish” when applied, but the bark is always dark brown or black after smoking.
Yeah I’ve seen briskets go on that barely look like they had anything on them and they wind up with great bark. It’s personal preference. I like to use the opportunity to add some flavor to the mix. Given you slice it pretty thin there is only a bit of the bark on each piece, I feel you can be a little heavy handed if that’s what you like. If you prefer a more subtle approach, I think that’s great eats as well. Win - Win.

I plan on smoking a brisket with the KOSMOS rub/injection shown in my picture. This is the first time I have used this brand. The injection tastes quite salty. If anyone has cooked with this brand before, I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer. I normally dry brine my brisket with a half a teaspoon per pound of kosher salt. This injection makes me question how much salt I should be adding.
When is this brisket going down?

I try to slice thin and keep
Yeah I’ve seen briskets go on that barely look like they had anything on them and they wind up with great bark. It’s personal preference. I like to use the opportunity to add some flavor to the mix. Given you slice it pretty thin there is only a bit of the bark on each piece, I feel you can be a little heavy handed if that’s what you like. If you prefer a more subtle approach, I think that’s great eats as well. Win - Win.
I sliced thin and tend to use some brown sugar to tone down the spices considering I have two 6 year-olds and a nine-year-old who quite often complain about it being too spicy. The brisket pictured in my original post was done with half and half meat heads big bad beef rub And brown sugar. A very nice sweet and spicy combo but I like the heat. Next time I will go 1/3 Brown sugar to 2/3 big bad beef rub.

Latest Discussions

Back