Cleaning SmokeFire

Johnny Guitar

Reaction score
Before a cook, I break down my SF and use my shop vac to get all the dust. I then scrape out any grease and the clean out the dust drawer, before reassembbling.

How do you keep your SF clean?

Spuds

Reaction score
Same as you-I have ext cleaning spray and a foaming product for the hopper lid and vent areas. That smoke can get stubborn

Dassman5

Reaction score
I clean and check the firebox before each cook as well as visually check for large accumulations of ash or grease before each cook. Periodically—every 10 cooks or so depending on what I have been making — I empty the ash collection box.
For the outside, I use any citrus- based spray cleaner ( orange of green) to remove excess grease from the unit followed by 303 aerospace marine cleaner/polish on not stainless areas and and Wieman’s stainless steel cleaner on the rest.

I have been following the same regimen for cleaning as well as the use of all of these products for over a decade on all of my grills and smokers.

Last edited:

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Before a cook, I break down my SF and use my shop vac to get all the dust. I then scrape out any grease and the clean out the dust drawer, before reassembbling.

How do you keep your SF clean?
Same as you. I do every so often use some simple green to cut some of the harder grease/smoke crud buildup, away

TexasBBQ

Reaction score
Well, some redneck (me) tightened his screws down fairly tight on the pellet slide and had difficulty removing the screws - ended up having to use a socket. I am guessing a little rust and heat made it difficult to remove. So after my recent cleaning, I didn't see the point of the screws being tight and left them loose.

I have seen on Facebook SF group that some people reportedly breaking their screws.

Dassman5

Reaction score
Well, some redneck (me) tightened his screws down fairly tight on the pellet slide and had difficulty removing the screws - ended up having to use a socket. I am guessing a little rust and heat made it difficult to remove. So after my recent cleaning, I didn't see the point of the screws being tight and left them loose.

I have seen on Facebook SF group that some people reportedly breaking their screws.
I used some high-temp anti-siege lube on mine, but will see if that works. If not I may try it your way.

Last edited:

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Nothing like a good set of nut drivers. I just swapped out my auger and between nut drivers and flex head speed wrenches it was a snap!

Latest Discussions