Chicken Skin Not Crispy

AlexJ

Reaction score
Grill
EX4, Genesis
Hey Smoker(fire) friends!

I've been loving cooking chicken breasts on the bone with ribs etc. It's worked out so well, except my skin never really gets crispy and is almost rubbery. I'm putting rubs on them, then smoking between 250-300 for about an hour or until 165+ internal........ any advise greatly appreciated! Thanks

350-400. I’d suggest cooking them hot the whole way personally.

350-400. I’d suggest cooking them hot the whole way personally.
Cool thanks! I've loved them at 250-300 - wow, so juicy. Just the skin annoys me! I guess I'll try everything! Thanks

I've been loving cooking chicken breasts on the bone with ribs etc. It's worked out so well, except my skin never really gets crispy and is almost rubbery. I'm putting rubs on them, then smoking between 250-300 for about an hour or until 165+ internal........ any advise greatly appreciated! Thanks
Make sure the skin is dry also. I put mine in the fridge uncovered for a while. If the skin is kinda yellow then you should be good

Cool thanks! I've loved them at 250-300 - wow, so juicy. Just the skin annoys me! I guess I'll try everything! Thanks
Pro tip cheater: sprinkle corn starch on the chicken after applying your seasoning. It draws the moisture out of the skin and basically air fry’s the skin. It’s basically magic. 😁

Cook at 400°

Cook at 400°
I totally agree on the higher cook temp personally.

Also:
Wings benefit greatly by cooking until 185-200IT. I know, I know, you all think they will be dry and overcooked but you’d be wrong. All the connective tissue in them really require the extra temp.
Pro tip #2 or #3. Who’s counting? 😜😜😜

For extra crispiness, add a dry brine to any of the above: for each pound of chicken combine 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp baking powder, sprinkle, refrigerate for at least an hour, smoke away.

Leave it in the fridge open for a day that will make the skin crisp

As stated above, they key to crispy chicken into make certain they are dry once I am certain of this, I put the pieces in a ziplock…mix with baking powder and the rub…shake really well and then put them in the fridge for an hour. I cook them at 275 for about 90 minutes (turning them a few times). I then crank up the grill to 400 and grill them for about 3 minutes per side. Result is super crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Dry the skin really well and salt it. Put it in the fridge overnight uncovered. Called a dry brine. Once you’re ready to cook it just season it up like you normally would and you should get some nice crispy skin.

Back