Cheaper pellets

ROCKEWEHARD

Reaction score
Grill
EX6, OG 22" KETTLE
Hi all...so im thinking I want to start using a more run of the mill pellet for when I'm doing high heat grilling on the EX6.

I know the SF can be picky on what pellets it performs well on so I am wondering who has used what kind of cheap lower quality pellets and had good results with.

I normally am using Lumberjack, Cabelas which is made by Lumberjack ,and Weber which I've heard but not confirmed is also made by Lumberjack but I'd prefer to not use my higher end stuff when I'm not smoking and pellet flavor and smoke is not as important.

I believe its pretty easy to find pittboss pellets in 40lb bags for like $15 but I need to make sure the grill will still get to and maintain 600* on the cheaper pellets and not have jamming or auger issues.

When I started out, I used pit boss. Like 8-10 dollars a bag at Walmart. I think they produced a little more ash than Weber…but never had any issues with them.

Good thing you aren't in Australia..
These three are Weber's only offerings and check out the price.

1619577045108.png

My local Walmart carries Kingsford pellets at $15 USD per bag. Not way cheaper than Lowe's carries Weber pellets for, but more convenient for me. They've been working without issue for about 100 lbs. worth so far. Plus, they have some woods that the Weber pellets doesn't, including 100% flavors vs. blends of woods. For example, Weber's hickory is actually 40% hickory, 60% oak, whereas Kingford's claims to be 100% hickory.

Last edited:
Hi all...so im thinking I want to start using a more run of the mill pellet for when I'm doing high heat grilling on the EX6.

I know the SF can be picky on what pellets it performs well on so I am wondering who has used what kind of cheap lower quality pellets and had good results with.

I normally am using Lumberjack, Cabelas which is made by Lumberjack ,and Weber which I've heard but not confirmed is also made by Lumberjack but I'd prefer to not use my higher end stuff when I'm not smoking and pellet flavor and smoke is not as important.

I believe its pretty easy to find pittboss pellets in 40lb bags for like $15 but I need to make sure the grill will still get to and maintain 600* on the cheaper pellets and not have jamming or auger issues.
Funny, in my area lumberjack pellets ARE the 'cheaper' pellets. When I have to buy them locally they're typically $9/20lb, on sale for $8 occasionally. I got together with guys at work and we bought a pallet of lumberjack pellets. Buying in bulk dropped the price to $7.17/20lb delivered.
They're cheaper, but IMO they're the best I've used

I have used several brands of pellets with my EX6 and have never had an issue with any of them. The most inexpensive pellets I have found is B & B at Academy Sports for $10 per 20lb bag.

I've used B&B from Academy as well. They have certain flavors in 40lb bags for ~$14 or $15. I've not found Lumberjack anywhere convenient for me.

I've used B&B from Academy as well. They have certain flavors in 40lb bags for ~$14 or $15. I've not found Lumberjack anywhere convenient for me.
I don't know where you're at in TX, but the only place I've found that stocks Lumberjack local to me is Atwoods, even then it's probably 100 miles away. Luckily I have family that live close by and occasionally pick up my supply

Oh man. They have Lumberjack 20# bags for $7 right now. When I searched before, the Lumberjack site (?) said the Atwoods close to me didn't have them. But I checked again after you said something, and they do. Bear Mountain 20# bags are also $7.

And I just loaded up on B&B Saturday. Oh well.

Has anyone noticed a difference in getting up to temp or holding temp with non-Weber pellets. Might just be coincidence, but it seems that either the new firmware or my switch to Kingsford pellets has made temps a bit more unstable than I'm used to.

Yes, had problems with B&B lately. I have tried all types and keep coming back to the smaller diameter pellets - Weber, Lumber Jack, and Cabelas.

Latest Discussions

Back