Buying a new SF - Will all "fixes" be applied?

Tell me more, you hear an upgraded version is on its way at the end of the year?
The last discussion I had with Weber, which was a couple of weeks ago was that the “ upgraded” version was those units that Weber took back from dealer inventory to install the items like a welded auger assembly, chute insert, a spare glow plug, and updated firmware and software; etc.; something that they were doing to refresh their inventory to match the updates already provided to all owners of record..

From my perspective that is a smart move by Weber, as it will bring all dealer inventory current and eliminate the costly piecemeal shipping of pieces to individual owners. Quite frankly, from my perspective that is a smart business...

I don’t believe that’s what is happening. The second run of SF all had the ramps and welded chutes already installed.
It’s something more and possibly slightly different. I’ve heard there is some tweaking to the hopper, auger, and fire pot possible. Hard to say for sure as those in the know are very tight lipped.

I bought an EX6 3 weeks ago from Amazon for the 12 mo financing. It has a February build date, but has a Rev.F motor. No black welded chute. So I called weber to request all updated parts. After 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone, they offered to send me a hopper slide and some free pellets, but wouldn't send any other parts unless I have a problem first. What was actually delivered was the pellet slide (the 7" long slide from the auger to the firepot) not the hopper insert, so that was a bit of a wasted call and I haven't called back yet.

I did all firmware updates before using it and it works pretty well. I've done brisket, pork butts, pizzas, burgers.. I've gone through 160 lbs of pellets in three weeks, and it cooks great.. but I do get ash everywhere. Only about 25% of the ash makes it into the drawer.. the rest is in the cooker and some on the food. A couple days ago the hopper got low on pellets when cooking at 600°, and I did a shutdown. I started to get some burn back during the shutdown and I think it's related to the airgaps in the auger when I ran low. I slid more pellets down into the auger hole, and the smoked stopped coming out from the auger and the burn back stopped.

Anyways, all this to say I just bought in September from Amazon and got a February grill with no real hardware updates. When I bought it, Weber replied to my Amazon question and stated it wasn't going to be updated with hardware, and when I called customer service, they refused to send me any parts (other than the hopper insert) unless I have a problem. I'm not really sure where I stand with what my grill is supposed to have vs what the newer grills are going to come with. I don't really like thinking I waited for the bugs to be worked out, and ended up with an older grill when others are getting something designed to be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I bought an EX6 3 weeks ago from Amazon for the 12 mo financing. It has a February build date, but has a Rev.F motor. No black welded chute. So I called weber to request all updated parts. After 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone, they offered to send me a hopper slide and some free pellets, but wouldn't send any other parts unless I have a problem first. What was actually delivered was the pellet slide (the 7" long slide from the auger to the firepot) not the hopper insert, so that was a bit of a wasted call and I haven't called back yet.

I did all firmware updates before using it and it works pretty well. I've done brisket, pork butts, pizzas, burgers.. I've gone through 160 lbs of pellets in three weeks, and it cooks great.. but I do get ash everywhere. Only about 25% of the ash makes it into the drawer.. the rest is in the cooker and some on the food. A couple days ago the hopper got low on pellets when cooking at 600°, and I did a shutdown. I started to get some burn back during the shutdown and I think it's related to the airgaps in the auger when I ran low. I slid more pellets down into the auger hole, and the smoked stopped coming out from the auger and the burn back stopped.

Anyways, all this to say I just bought in September from Amazon and got a February grill with no real hardware updates. When I bought it, Weber replied to my Amazon question and stated it wasn't going to be updated with hardware, and when I called customer service, they refused to send me any parts (other than the hopper insert) unless I have a problem. I'm not really sure where I stand with what my grill is supposed to have vs what the newer grills are going to come with. I don't really like thinking I waited for the bugs to be worked out, and ended up with an older grill when others are getting something designed to be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Part of the reason that Weber hesitates to sent out the welded auger assembly is that plenty of owners, myself included, have units with the original two piece auger housing with gasket, and have never had an issue. ( I have over 69 trouble free cooks on my EX4, and it was built in March and purchased in June.). If you look at the evolving experience of most owners, it is the often issued firmware and software updates that are far more important to the SF performance, than the hopper insert ( I installed mine simply because it came in a separate box when I picked it up, but doubt it does much.

As for your experience during cooking, the most likely problem with the old two piece chute has to do with the gasket, which can deteriorate over time, creating gaps between the chute and the auger, resulting in slower heat-up times and trouble achieving the ever-elusive 600F. The gasket can also start to separate and shred over time, which can impede pellet flow to the auger. Also, if you have to dissemble the auger assembly frequently to remove dust or blockages, the gasket can also become unglued and no longer seat properly; thereby impacting performance.

if you are having any of these issues ( I had the gasket come unglued), you need to call Weber, describe the problem and I am sure they will provide a new welded auger assembly. This did for me, but while waiting to receive it I had some high-temp gasket glued that I used to get back running. The welded assembly is now awaiting installation when I find the time.

Last edited:

return it and don’t buy one from Amazon. That’s old stock. I have no idea what Weber’s contracts are with Amazon, but Weber has been selling Smokefire that are updated out of the box for months now at retailers.

Do the the updated models come out of the box with the black welded auger chute? Are there any fixes that address ash not really going into the drawer? It's a lot of work to return one and get one someplace else, so I'm hoping it can be fixed with swapping a couple parts to update it. I will say the software and firmware fixes seem to be great.. I've never had an issue getting to any temp quickly and it always holds it's set temp.

I would like point out that if new units come with a slide in the box and other updated parts, and possibly a spare glow plug, it's kind of lame Weber doesn't have an upgrade kit ready to send out to people like me. When bought my grill I was confident Weber would send me all the parts I needed to update it, but in my case I have to call as parts fail first. I get needing to save parts and resources, but if new grills are sitting in the box with these updates.. I would have expected to have no trouble requesting these for my brand new grill

Do the the updated models come out of the box with the black welded auger chute? Are there any fixes that address ash not really going into the drawer? It's a lot of work to return one and get one someplace else, so I'm hoping it can be fixed with swapping a couple parts to update it. I will say the software and firmware fixes seem to be great.. I've never had an issue getting to any temp quickly and it always holds it's set temp.

I would like point out that if new units come with a slide in the box and other updated parts, and possibly a spare glow plug, it's kind of lame Weber doesn't have an upgrade kit ready to send out to people like me. When bought my grill I was confident Weber would send me all the parts I needed to update it, but in my case I have to call as parts fail first. I get needing to save parts and resources, but if new grills are sitting in the box with these updates.. I would have expected to have no trouble requesting these for my brand new grill
They had the chute installed and the ramp. FWIW, I think the ramp is not a vital issue. Removal of the wire guard above the chute is vital. As far as ash goes, I don’t think that issue will change. It doesn’t bother me and it differs from other pellet cookers in that there is not a solid heat/ grease shield the length of the cooking surface. They all produce ash it’s just harder to see in other brands without taking the whole thing apart. I’m sure if you tell them you are having a grinding noise from the auger you will be sent a new welded one. Takes about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes to install. I’ve been using mine for six months without issue with the glow plug. I never received a spare nor have I ordered one.

That's good to know, and I appreciate the feedback. Really not trying to sound like I'm complaining over here.. I love the Smokefire and I'm so happy with the results I'm getting off it. I haven't used my 22" kettle or 22" WSM since I've gotten the thing. I'm very impressed with how well it works with the software updates being a February build.
Mostly just wanted to chime in on this thread with my experience since I just bought it from Amazon and was sent an older build date grill.

The ash is the only real annoyance I have. I mean its super easy to clean out of the cooking area every few cooks, and I use drip pans for high fat cooks. On my grill almost no grease makes it into the drip tray because it's soaked up by ash inside the cooker, and I see ash/soot visible on food I cook. I'm using Weber pellets and the grill is level side to side. I know its been beat to death how the prototypes were said to have little to no ash in the cooking area, just hoping there was something I missed along the way that addressed it.

I took out the finger guard before I first started using it, and I've gone 11 hours without having to touch the pellets. That one isn't really a concern for me

Anyway, so far I've had no reason to send it back because it's so worth the great flavor for what little trouble it is to move some ash an add a drip pan. I guess the little bit of burn back was a little alarming, but I think that was very specific to my 600 degree cook and shutdown low on pellets

Quick follow up- I just got off the phone with Weber to mention my two items of concern. I got through in less than 2 minutes with almost no hold time, and the person I talked to owns a Smokefire and knows all the ins and outs. I told him about my concerns and my grill build date, and he immediately offered the one piece welded chute, spare glow plug igniter, the correct hopper slide part, and another bag of pellets. This is more or less what I was expecting the first time I called in with questions about my build date. Anyways, that's a huge relief since I'm coming up on my return window and was really hoping to make sure I had the updated hardware.

So to relate it back to the thread and sum up my experience- I bought the grill through Amazon in Sept of 2020 and it had a February 2020 build date. Most all issues seemed to have been addressed with software, and I've had great success with my cooks. I called weber today (October 2020) and they are taking care of me to make sure I have the updated parts to address my concern with the burn back and possibly relates to some of my ash issues.

Quick follow up- I just got off the phone with Weber to mention my two items of concern. I got through in less than 2 minutes with almost no hold time, and the person I talked to owns a Smokefire and knows all the ins and outs. I told him about my concerns and my grill build date, and he immediately offered the one piece welded chute, spare glow plug igniter, the correct hopper slide part, and another bag of pellets. This is more or less what I was expecting the first time I called in with questions about my build date. Anyways, that's a huge relief since I'm coming up on my return window and was really hoping to make sure I had the updated hardware.

So to relate it back to the thread and sum up my experience- I bought the grill through Amazon in Sept of 2020 and it had a February 2020 build date. Most all issues seemed to have been addressed with software, and I've had great success with my cooks. I called weber today (October 2020) and they are taking care of me to make sure I have the updated parts to address my concern with the burn back and possibly relates to some of my ash issues.
This is more like the experience we all have experienced or heard about. I know they have been told to make it right with the customer. I chalk it up to getting a bad draw the first time. Hopefully those people don’t stick around long.
You will love it. Enjoy!

This is more like the experience we all have experienced or heard about. I know they have been told to make it right with the customer. I chalk it up to getting a bad draw the first time. Hopefully those people don’t stick around long.
You will love it. Enjoy!
Yeah I was a little surpirsed, since reading about those experiences is ultimately what swayed me to pull the trigger and not wait another year. That said the first person I talked to was very nice and tried to be helpful. I suspect it was someone new and still learning. Either way, I hope they keep their job and end up on the same level as the person that helped me today.

That's good to know, and I appreciate the feedback. Really not trying to sound like I'm complaining over here.. I love the Smokefire and I'm so happy with the results I'm getting off it. I haven't used my 22" kettle or 22" WSM since I've gotten the thing. I'm very impressed with how well it works with the software updates being a February build.
Mostly just wanted to chime in on this thread with my experience since I just bought it from Amazon and was sent an older build date grill.

The ash is the only real annoyance I have. I mean its super easy to clean out of the cooking area every few cooks, and I use drip pans for high fat cooks. On my grill almost no grease makes it into the drip tray because it's soaked up by ash inside the cooker, and I see ash/soot visible on food I cook. I'm using Weber pellets and the grill is level side to side. I know its been beat to death how the prototypes were said to have little to no ash in the cooking area, just hoping there was something I missed along the way that addressed it.

I took out the finger guard before I first started using it, and I've gone 11 hours without having to touch the pellets. That one isn't really a concern for me

Anyway, so far I've had no reason to send it back because it's so worth the great flavor for what little trouble it is to move some ash an add a drip pan. I guess the little bit of burn back was a little alarming, but I think that was very specific to my 600 degree cook and shutdown low on pellets
By the way, and for what it is worth, like all smokers in general, and especially pellet smokers, the less you clean the internals of the SF, the less ash dust is present...sounds counterintuitive, but the excess carbon and grease and ash left in the SF tends to attract and bind the free ash. That is why most roadside and commercial BBQ smokers seldom clean their units except for excess grease accumulation. Plus it helps prevent rust.

Two precautionary notes: (1) Most commercial smokers are in daily or almost daily use, and (2) If you use your unit infrequently, the ash needs to be removed to prevent corrosion in damp areas of the country. Also, for food safety reasons, I always pre-heat my SF at 250F-275F for at least 15 minutes if smoking at low temps or using SB.

...Two precautionary notes: (1) Most commercial smokers are in daily or almost daily use, and (2) If you use your unit infrequently, the ash needs to be removed to prevent corrosion in damp areas of the country. Also, for food safety reasons, I always pre-heat my SF at 250F-275F for at least 15 minutes if smoking at low temps or using SB.

Thanks for the tips! Great points

I bought an EX4 at the end of August from Lowes (in the box) and it already had the ramp installed, but no welded chute/auger. The only issue I had was with Smokeboost. When I turned on Smokeboost, it dumped a bunch of pellets into the pot and the fire went out. I chock it up to user-error because I activated Smokeboost before the grill got above 160. I still called Weber and they sent me out a chute, auger, glow plugs, and a ramp(didn't need the ramp).

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back