Brisket prices down? (july 2020)

Brad S

Reaction score
Was walking through the meat dept at Sam's club and found USDA prime brisket for 2.73 a pound. This a fluke or are you guys seeing this too?

Was walking through the meat dept at Sam's club and found USDA prime brisket for 2.73 a pound. This a fluke or are you guys seeing this too?
Right now there is a glut of USDA Prime beef in the market. I suspect it is due to the backlog of processing beef at the slaughter houses during the early days of the pandemic.

I looked at the ones at Sam’s club and they looked good. However, I Just ordered and received a packer brisket 20# untrimmed, from my local butcher for $3.99 a pound and was able to select size and how I wanted it trimmed.

From experience, the availability of USDA Prime at low prices varies seasonally and by demand — right now many fine dining restaurants are closed or running at reduced capacity due to the COVID-19 impact— so I always order, vacuum seal and freeze Porterhouse, Strips, Ribeyes and tenderloins when opportunity knocks.

Right now there is a glut of USDA Prime beef in the market. I suspect it is due to the backlog of processing beef at the slaughter houses during the early days of the pandemic.

I looked at the ones at Sam’s club and they looked good. However, I Just ordered and received a packer brisket 20# untrimmed, from my local butcher for $3.99 a pound and was able to select size and how I wanted it trimmed.

From experience, the availability of USDA Prime at low prices varies seasonally and by demand — right now many fine dining restaurants are closed or running at reduced capacity due to the COVID-19 impact— so I always order, vacuum seal and freeze Porterhouse, Strips, Ribeyes and tenderloins when opportunity knocks.
Interesting. Is it possible that prime is cheaper than choice? I went back to Sams today and all they had was choice at twice the price. Was disappointed. Also, how well does vacuum seal preserve the steaks for long-term? I'm thinking about getting one if it makes that much of a difference.

Interesting. Is it possible that prime is cheaper than choice? I went back to Sams today and all they had was choice at twice the price. Was disappointed. Also, how well does vacuum seal preserve the steaks for long-term? I'm thinking about getting one if it makes that much of a difference.
As I said, timing is everything. Given that only about 2% of all beef is rated Prime, it is not surprising that places like Sam’s and BJ’s vary on when and what amount they have it; especially since most of Prime beef ends up in high end restaurants and hotels, and they need to compete on price.

Even my sources — a wholesale meat processor and a local meat market that specializes in high-end protein — have periodic shortages...

Just keep checking and meanwhile the good news is that even USDA Choice Brisket will come out fine on a SmokeFire IF It is done low and slow.

BTW, I can vacuum seal USDA Prime Steak for 6 to 9 months and it is virtually indistinguishable from fresh. Hence I buy when available and the price is right.

As I said, timing is everything. Given that only about 2% of all beef is rated Prime, it is not surprising that places like Sam’s and BJ’s vary on when and what amount they have it; especially since most of Prime beef ends up in high end restaurants and hotels, and they need to compete on price.

Even my sources — a wholesale meat processor and a local meat market that specializes in high-end protein — have periodic shortages...

Just keep checking and meanwhile the good news is that even USDA Choice Brisket will come out fine on a SmokeFire IF It is done low and slow.

BTW, I can vacuum seal USDA Prime Steak for 6 to 9 months and it is virtually indistinguishable from fresh. Hence I buy when available and the price is right.
Agree - USDA Choice works out just fine. Thanks for info on vac seal. I see that costco is putting them on sale starting tomorrow (8/6/2020). Might have to pick one up.

I’ve used a vacuum sealer for years. I would recommend freezing a steak first and then vacuum sealing. That keeps the meat from becoming ”crushed” by the sealing process.

Works great for everything from whole tenderloin sliced into filets to pulled pork.

I’ve used a vacuum sealer for years. I would recommend freezing a steak first and then vacuum sealing. That keeps the meat from becoming ”crushed” by the sealing process.

Works great for everything from whole tenderloin sliced into filets to pulled pork.
I agree about “pre-freezing” unless, like my unit, it has a “ Gentle” setting that slows the vacuum sealing process.

I paid a whopping $6.99 a pound yesterday for two briskets at Wegmans (NE grocery chain).

Didn’t have time took look elsewhere.

A few weeks ago our local Kroger guy bought half a truckload. I bought 4 weighing between 16-18# each and not one of them was over $30. Cooked one and it was quite good. Not prime grade of course but more than adequate.

it’s better to be lucky than good I suppose.

Sams had choice for 2.43 lb last week. 2.73 for prime week before.

Ughh I messed up. Bought a choice 2 weeks ago and let it go bad. Didn't have room to freeze so I kept it in the fridge until 2 days ago. let it sit in garage yesterday (on ice but still warm in there) to thaw 1 section that my crappy garage fridge froze, opened it up to prepare it and it was spoiled. Lesson learned-keep frozen as long as possible. But providence smiled upon me today at Sams. No primes where they were supposed to be but found a prime brisket hidden away with the choice for 2.64 a pound. Oddly all the choice it was sitting with were almost twice the price. Another lesson learned...keep your eyes open when looking for brisket at sams.

Ughh I messed up. Bought a choice 2 weeks ago and let it go bad. Didn't have room to freeze so I kept it in the fridge until 2 days ago. let it sit in garage yesterday (on ice but still warm in there) to thaw 1 section that my crappy garage fridge froze, opened it up to prepare it and it was spoiled. Lesson learned-keep frozen as long as possible. But providence smiled upon me today at Sams. No primes where they were supposed to be but found a prime brisket hidden away with the choice for 2.64 a pound. Oddly all the choice it was sitting with were almost twice the price. Another lesson learned...keep your eyes open when looking for brisket at sams.
Smart shopper!

Back