Bottom storage shelf

Will sends pics and details (including measurements) on what I came up with for my EX4. I abandoned my thought of using a stainless steel expanded grate having a decent thickness after I got an awakening on the price for a custom cut piece! But I will share all I came up with once I get it done - stay tuned.

BTW - a tip of the hat to rexster314 for his front shelf. Nice work!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Cheers!

Update on my shelf project. Wood pattern was used to size the grate. I used regular steel and painted it to death after I got a quote for a stainless-steel shelf. I'd guess I have about $50-$60 in it (I really didn't keep track). I may or may not (operative word - may) put something on the left and right sides to somewhat cover those exposed edges where the material was cut. May need a beer or 10 to noodle that one out.:cool:

Attachments

• 20220128_144002.jpg
    20220128_144002.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20220128_144011.jpg
    20220128_144011.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 167
Update on my shelf project. Wood pattern was used to size the grate. I used regular steel and painted it to death after I got a quote for a stainless-steel shelf. I'd guess I have about $50-$60 in it (I really didn't keep track). I may or may not (operative word - may) put something on the left and right sides to somewhat cover those exposed edges where the material was cut. May need a beer or 10 to noodle that one out.:cool:
I have an EX 4. I’ll take one please. 😁😁

I can provide details on my set-up; I just need some time to put it down in writing as it was very much a trial-and-error sequence. In the end I was my own worst enemy by making goofs, mismeasuring, etc. (could be the beer effect - not sure). I should add that I am not a welder, nor do I have the wherewithal to cut up an expanded steel sheet. So, after I had the wood template (which I can do) I mail ordered the custom cut grate and then used aluminum parts available most anywhere to complete things. I'll try to cobble together a parts list and measurements and post at some point.

I can provide details on my set-up; I just need some time to put it down in writing as it was very much a trial-and-error sequence. In the end I was my own worst enemy by making goofs, mismeasuring, etc. (could be the beer effect - not sure). I should add that I am not a welder, nor do I have the wherewithal to cut up an expanded steel sheet. So, after I had the wood template (which I can do) I mail ordered the custom cut grate and then used aluminum parts available most anywhere to complete things. I'll try to cobble together a parts list and measurements and post at some point.
Looks good!

Cool, like that you went with metal mesh as should let any pellets that fall down there go through.

I'm getting ready to buy a basic stick welder and jump into DIY land..
Bottom shelf will serve as practice before I fab up expanded steel upper and lower cooking grates.

I'm getting ready to buy a basic stick welder and jump into DIY land..
Bottom shelf will serve as practice before I fab up expanded steel upper and lower cooking grates.
Square tube or L channel? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I used to have a lot more access to a TIG machine, could have made some nice stuff. Did both stainless and carbon. I love my top grate I had made, let me know if you ever need pics.

Square tube or L channel? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I used to have a lot more access to a TIG machine, could have made some nice stuff. Did both stainless and carbon. I love my top grate I had made, let me know if you ever need pics.
I'm going to use L channel, would be "grate" to see pics of your build 😜

Could I get the details of the materials you used on your cooking grates? I'd rather not overbuild, as would be my tendency.

Could I get the details of the materials you used on your cooking grates? I'd rather not overbuild, as would be my tendency.
Looks like he used 1/2 square tube and expanded metal. Pics coming.

Latest Discussions

Back