Best way I discovered to smoke a packer brisket

Vince71969

Reaction score
Grill
EX4
Hello everyone. I just want to share the way i'll be doing my packer briskets from now on. Last night I started with a prime brisket and the Weber 7004 Wet Smoke Kit filled with hot water https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/pellet-grill-accessories/7004.html I offset the water tray and bracket slightly to the left so it would be over the cooler part of the grill. I started uncovered with SmokeBoost for 2 hours and then I raised the temp to 225º and cooked until the stall. I wrapped in foil and cooked the rest of the way at 240º. Using this method brought the temp zone that cooked the flat much cooler than the zone that cooked the point (as shown by the pics.) When it was all set and done (10 hours later) My probe showed the flat at 203º and the point at 206º AT THE SAME TIME! The whole entire packer brisket probed tender as both muscles cooked at the same rate, regardless of thickness. Also, cooking with the water tray left a moist, hydrated brisket the entire time. Here are the pics of the differences in the zone temps at the flavorer bar that cooked the under the point and the water tray that cooked under the flat. The convection action of the Smokefire itself balanced everything out and the result was a totally even-temp cook
IMG_6209.jpg
IMG_6218.jpg
IMG_6214.jpg

Hello everyone. I just want to share the way i'll be doing my packer briskets from now on. Last night I started with a prime brisket and the Weber 7004 Wet Smoke Kit filled with hot water https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/pellet-grill-accessories/7004.html I offset the water tray and bracket slightly to the left so it would be over the cooler part of the grill. I started uncovered with SmokeBoost for 2 hours and then I raised the temp to 225º and cooked until the stall. I wrapped in foil and cooked the rest of the way at 240º. Using this method brought the temp zone that cooked the flat much cooler than the zone that cooked the point (as shown by the pics.) When it was all set and done (10 hours later) My probe showed the flat at 203º and the point at 206º AT THE SAME TIME! The whole entire packer brisket probed tender as both muscles cooked at the same rate, regardless of thickness. Also, cooking with the water tray left a moist, hydrated brisket the entire time. Here are the pics of the differences in the zone temps at the flavorer bar that cooked the under the point and the water tray that cooked under the flat. The convection action of the Smokefire itself balanced everything out and the result was a totally even-temp cookView attachment 3442View attachment 3443View attachment 3444
Different inter dispersed fat content between the flat and point. The thick part of the flat is your gauge. Looks and sounds great.

Different inter dispersed fat content between the flat and point. The thick part of the flat is your gauge. Looks and sounds great.
Correct. The flat has always been and will continue to be my gauge as the more marbled point has a broader range for tenderness. With cooking this way the flat is still what I probed and kept track of with the app. It's just so much easier that I could a way to have both muscles cook at the same rate.

Good information!! Hoping to do a brisket soon and I will try something similar.

Latest Discussions

Back