HELP! Baby Back Rib Recipe

SCAngler

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hi All, I’m new to SmokeFire and this forum. I’m trying to find a good recipe/method to cook some “Fall off the bone” ribs. I’ve read so much that I can’t figure out the best way to cook ribs. Something like “analysis paralysis “. I’d be very grateful if one of you BBQ experts could give me a proven recipe for great dry rub/lightly sauced baby back ribs on the SF. Thanks!

Hi All, I’m new to SmokeFire and this forum. I’m trying to find a good recipe/method to cook some “Fall off the bone” ribs. I’ve read so much that I can’t figure out the best way to cook ribs. Something like “analysis paralysis “. I’d be very grateful if one of you BBQ experts could give me a proven recipe for great dry rub/lightly sauced baby back ribs on the SF. Thanks!
Lots of opinions (Perhaps too many) and recipes and taste buds to give a “one-size fits all” recipe.

I prefer to use the tried and true method that I started out my smoking career with. This is from an old Weber handbook that I got some 30 years ago, long before they made the WSM or SmokeFire. You can easily adjust all of the ingredients to fit your taste. I prefer to make my rubs and basting sauces from scratch, but I am certain others will give you lots of ideas as well. As for finish and dipping sauce, I bypass these and tend to have 4-5 different bottled sauces from sweet to dark and smokey and let me family and guest select based on the preference.

As for smoking, I use the either the 3-2-1 or 2-1-1 method depending upon how meaty the ribs are and the cut. This recipe works equally as well on the SmokeFire at 225F. I prefer a mix of Hickory and either Apple or Cherry pellet, but mostly Just the Weber Hickory.

Many also skip the middle wrap, and just continue to smoke and sprite or lightly baste until they get to their desired doneness.

Enjoy...experimenting is almost as much fun as eating!
C680140F-A22D-4DA2-B49D-4922E8AB0BC5.jpeg

Last edited:
I do a dry rub. 3 hours or so at approx 300-325. Spritz with a fruit juice(Apple) every hour. Then I wrap in foil. I put about a half a stick of butter, and about half a cup of the juice in the foil. Per rack. Then up to 350, til the meat reads about 195. Then off and rest for about 20-30 minutes in the foil. Unwrap, cut up. Sauce on the side if wanted. Very juicy and tender. Melts in your mouth. Almost don’t have to cut. Meat just falls off.

Thanks for the all information. I'll be cooking ribs this weekend!

Second attempt at ribs since I got my SmokeFire. First time tasted good, but were tough. These ones were excellent. Followed the suggestions above from Dassman5 & CEd4jets and did a hybrid of the Meat Church method and the Weber method. Homemade rub, 3 hours unwrapped with Smokeboost at 225, then 2 hours wrapped in foil at 275.

Attachments

• FCB45F52-45CA-4E37-B099-DB989458D25C.jpeg
    FCB45F52-45CA-4E37-B099-DB989458D25C.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 26
Ive done sooo many rib cooks, no wrap, on my Weber kettles it’s not funny….I’m probably going to do my initial cook on my MT with a new SNS. Soon

Second attempt at ribs since I got my SmokeFire. First time tasted good, but were tough. These ones were excellent. Followed the suggestions above from Dassman5 & CEd4jets and did a hybrid of the Meat Church method and the Weber method. Homemade rub, 3 hours unwrapped with Smokeboost at 225, then 2 hours wrapped in foil at 275.
Tough ribs are ribs that aren’t done yet. Period.

I haven't done ribs on the EX6 yet, but I've cooked a few thousand on other smokers. My advice is worth what you pay for it, but here goes... 1) 225F is for pork shoulder and other long, low and slow cooks... Ribs like to be cooked hot. 275F-300F. 2) Spare ribs will take a good bit longer than back ribs. 3) Wrap/No Wrap? It's a preference. If you're a diligent ACV SPRAYER, you might skip it (or depending on the smoker.. Got a dedicated water pan?). I'm kinda in the middle; I usually do multiple racks, so I throw them all in a foil pan together, seal it with foil, and that works for me. Note that mine are not wrapped tight/individually, and nor do I add any butter/brown sugar/whatever, but it does the trick. It traps the moisture for a while (which is doing some magic). Don't drink too much beer and lose track of time; too long on the wrap and you'll have mush. 4) If they're tough, they ain't done. If they "fall off the bone", ya went too long. The sweet spot is when they easily pull clean off the bone when you bite. 5) Sauce/No sauce? Another preference, but I like to finish with a light glaze of sauce, but NOT goopy... I'm not trying to cover up the taste of the ribs. I make my own sauce, but when I don't have time, I do what most competition cooks do. I mix Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red, 50/50. 6) All that said, do whatever suits you. You can't hurt 'em. They're already dead.

I haven't done ribs on the EX6 yet, but I've cooked a few thousand on other smokers. My advice is worth what you pay for it, but here goes... 1) 225F is for pork shoulder and other long, low and slow cooks... Ribs like to be cooked hot. 275F-300F. 2) Spare ribs will take a good bit longer than back ribs. 3) Wrap/No Wrap? It's a preference. If you're a diligent ACV SPRAYER, you might skip it (or depending on the smoker.. Got a dedicated water pan?). I'm kinda in the middle; I usually do multiple racks, so I throw them all in a foil pan together, seal it with foil, and that works for me. Note that mine are not wrapped tight/individually, and nor do I add any butter/brown sugar/whatever, but it does the trick. It traps the moisture for a while (which is doing some magic). Don't drink too much beer and lose track of time; too long on the wrap and you'll have mush. 4) If they're tough, they ain't done. If they "fall off the bone", ya went too long. The sweet spot is when they easily pull clean off the bone when you bite. 5) Sauce/No sauce? Another preference, but I like to finish with a light glaze of sauce, but NOT goopy... I'm not trying to cover up the taste of the ribs. I make my own sauce, but when I don't have time, I do what most competition cooks do. I mix Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red, 50/50. 6) All that said, do whatever suits you. You can't hurt 'em. They're already dead.
”Don't drink too much beer and lose track of time”. That’s some good advice right there :)

I really like Tennessee Red, the original is really sweet, I’ll bet they go together really well!

I just recently learned that you don't even have to mix it yourself anymore...
Yeah competition blend is a mix. Lots of great sauces out there. Tennessee red is great on pulled pork or as a mop or added liquid in wrapping ribs. Adds a vinegar layer and a little bite from the crushed reds.

Latest Discussions

Back