Auger reaplacement

bbqking

4x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
Didn’t get a lot of pics, but my boy came over today and together we did the auger/motor replacement. Pretty easy just took about an 2 hours start to finish, maybe a little less. Took out the ramp, and the wire guard. Refilled turned it to 600. Took about 15 minutes to get there. Going to let it go for .5 hours. Pellet dust was compacted in the auger tube and in the flange thing that is welded on now. Could be why temps where acting up.
20090555-9626-46CE-A6AF-4548443F57D6.jpeg
1DA05480-3D70-4E4C-A36E-E192B14AC86C.jpeg
F2588098-CD30-4AA6-A3C3-2A9809CBBF49.jpeg
13BC9294-6FE4-4DF5-BF47-B0732F2DB084.jpeg

Attachments

• 13EE5F8F-9D30-447B-9D3E-346D2EB7CFEF.jpeg
    13EE5F8F-9D30-447B-9D3E-346D2EB7CFEF.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 23
Nice!!
It really steadied mine out! Good luck!

They sent a brand new glow plug and assembly, which I also put in....brisket tomorrow.

Didn’t get a lot of pics, but my boy came over today and together we did the auger/motor replacement. Pretty easy just took about an 2 hours start to finish, maybe a little less. Took out the ramp, and the wire guard. Refilled turned it to 600. Took about 15 minutes to get there. Going to let it go for .5 hours. Pellet dust was compacted in the auger tube and in the flange thing that is welded on now. Could be why temps where acting up.View attachment 3268View attachment 3269View attachment 3270View attachment 3271
Those are pellets that have gotten wet... definitely not dust because they still have some shape to them. Take a few dry ones and add water-They will look like what is in the auger. They kind of hold their shape but crumble. Dust looks like dust without any shape

That auger was in bad shape.
The new one should fix the issues.

Any reason behind installing a new glow plug?
Didnt you just do that 2-3 weeks ago?

I don’t know how they got wet. Never spilled anything. Keep grill pretty clean at all times. I think it was just dust from different pellet brands. Kind of weird. But your right it does look like they got wet. I installed
New glow plug because they sent me the whole assembly new. So I just figured why not, while I have it apart...

Didn’t get a lot of pics, but my boy came over today and together we did the auger/motor replacement. Pretty easy just took about an 2 hours start to finish, maybe a little less. Took out the ramp, and the wire guard. Refilled turned it to 600. Took about 15 minutes to get there. Going to let it go for .5 hours. Pellet dust was compacted in the auger tube and in the flange thing that is welded on now. Could be why temps where acting up.View attachment 3268View attachment 3269View attachment 3270View attachment 3271
THANK YOU for the excellent photos and information. This could be my problem for the erratic temps.

Those are pellets that have gotten wet... definitely not dust because they still have some shape to them. Take a few dry ones and add water-They will look like what is in the auger. They kind of hold their shape but crumble. Dust looks like dust without any shape
I am not sure that is correct. And it might be totally correct. Remember that the software used to significantly back up the auger on shutdown. That type of packing of pellets occurred all of the time with dry pellets. Once packed in there, they may not come out. And that may be causing Corners problems. Or he may have too much humidity for the pellets to absorb.

I don’t know how they got wet. Never spilled anything. Keep grill pretty clean at all times. I think it was just dust from different pellet brands. Kind of weird. But your right it does look like they got wet. I installed
New glow plug because they sent me the whole assembly new. So I just figured why not, while I have it apart...
If a grill is stored outside (like mine) it is susceptible to moisture in the air e.g. dew. Over time pallets will be affected by this. That is why I clean my gril in such a way that I remove all the pallets from the auger. Till now I did not had too many issues. Mine is now 1 year old and I have the same auger as you have sorry had ;).

How I do it, normally the day after I clean my grill more thoroughly. I start the Grill and then turn it off. Wile the grill is in the shutdown procedure the auger back's up and the I use the shop vac to clean the auger. some times poking the pallets with a thin piece of wood (NOT YOUR FINGERS). After that the auger is totally clean and no compacted pellets and residue at the end/beginning of the auger.

Back