And..... that's all she wrote for now......<sigh>

wow400

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Christian.
And thank you for your update too.
When you get around to it, please can you post a photo showing the slit/cut you've actually made on the auger.
I'm interested to see what happens to all this compacted wood that has been the cause of quite a few issues.......

OP
kaptain_zero

kaptain_zero

Reaction score
Grill
Spirit II E-310, Q100, Q320 and SmokeFire EX4
Sorry for your loss Christian.
And thank you for your update too.
When you get around to it, please can you post a photo showing the slit/cut you've actually made on the auger.
I'm interested to see what happens to all this compacted wood that has been the cause of quite a few issues.......
I'll try but we got ambushed by winter a little over a week ago. The smoker is still outside under about 20cm of snow and last night the temperature was -17c. My garage is unheated and it's no fun trying to work with metal parts in the cold.

The dust and any pellets in that area are not compacted and so the auger is free to turn, cleaning it out will have minimal effect and the area will collect new dust/pellets, but it won't compact and cause problems. After my modification, I have not cleaned it out and only plan to clean it every few months with a vacuum from inside the hopper. Of course cleaning out the ash and grease requires the same care as before to avoid grease fires.

OP
kaptain_zero

kaptain_zero

Reaction score
Grill
Spirit II E-310, Q100, Q320 and SmokeFire EX4
But what your findings after using it for 6 months?
Was it worth doing?
Seems that taking 5min every couple of weeks to remove the auger to clean and inspect would achieve the same result (unless there is more to it).
In my personal experience, cleaning out ever 2 weeks would likely not work for me if I used the smoker more than 2 times during that 2 week period, but this will likely vary wildly between users due to the variability of the pellets used and a whole bunch of environmental factors.

In my case the modification "eliminates" the problem. I went the entire rest of the season without having to remove the auger for cleaning, though with my health issues I did not get to use it as much as I would have liked. In a normal season, I would likely simply vacuum the hopper out twice a season and call it good with no apparent reason to dismantle anything.

wow400

Reaction score
I'll try but we got ambushed by winter a little over a week ago. The smoker is still outside under about 20cm of snow and last night the temperature was -17c. My garage is unheated and it's no fun trying to work with metal parts in the cold.

The dust and any pellets in that area are not compacted and so the auger is free to turn, cleaning it out will have minimal effect and the area will collect new dust/pellets, but it won't compact and cause problems. After my modification, I have not cleaned it out and only plan to clean it every few months with a vacuum from inside the hopper. Of course cleaning out the ash and grease requires the same care as before to avoid grease fires.
Yep, no worries.
Thanks again 👍

Latest Discussions