Alternatives to weber temp probes?

dudemcnally

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a compatible temperature probe that costs less than the weber probes? I've used at least 6 of the weber probes and I keep destroying them somehow. I route the wire through the door cutout and I still keep having problems. The probes will work fine for a while, then suddenly they have various problems, constantly fluctuating temperature, dramatically wrong temp measurement, or just a beep from the controller and then it's like the probe isn't plugged in.

I mentioned this during a conversation with support and they sent me two replacement probes, so they definitely support their product, but I'm wondering if there is a less expensive option to the weber probes? I have a couple of other wireless thermometers from other manufacturers and those probes read incorrectly in the weber controller. Has anyone bought generic probes that work with weber? If so, where did you get them and how much were they?

I'd also appreciate feedback as to what I could be doing that's causing the probes to fail? Are there any specific no-no's I should be avoiding? Clearly I'm doing something stupid, I don't think they should fail so soon. The last two I bought were both dead inside of a month! I didn't think weber would replace them so I hadn't kept receipts, but going forward I will save receipts to request replacement if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Thank you in advance!

AHoneyman

Reaction score
There are three big holes at the back of the unit that work very well to run lines through...............

Also, I never wash them (submerge in water). A quick wipe with a dish rag and hang up on a rack. And I do not leave them in the cooker without being inserted into meat (except for the air probe that is mounted).

Dassman5

Reaction score
As already noted, moisture and water are the greatest enemy of all but really high-end science and culinary probes (think very expensive) followed by twisting and kinking the wire.

I still have all of my Weber probes in service as well as all but one Maverick system probes except for one I accidentally submerged while doing dishes.

G_Gryphon

Reaction score
I've successfully used the Thermowork's Pro Series probes in the SF with no issues that I've noted. For anyone not familiar with Thermoworks, their thermometers (probes or handheld) are, to me, the gold standard in temperature monitoring.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've successfully used the Thermowork's Pro Series probes in the SF with no issues that I've noted. For anyone not familiar with Thermoworks, their thermometers (probes or handheld) are, to me, the gold standard in temperature monitoring.
Thanks for this info. I love Thermoworks products and was wondering if their probes would work.

AHoneyman

Reaction score
I want to be clear - you have used Thermoworks probes plugged into the SF controller?