Aftermarket glow plugs

woodsum

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of talk in other posts about if their are alternative glow plugs that can be purchased at automotive supply stores. So I decided to start this post so that we can discuss only aftermarket glow plug options.

JetRanger

Reaction score
To my knowledge, no viable alternatives have been located. What I can confirm is that if you install a 12 volt or 6 Volt glow plug in your SmokeFire, you WILL damage the motherboard in the grill. This has been verified more than once. The SmokeFire is a 24 volt unit and must have 24 volt plugs installed.

jmccrack650

Reaction score
To add additional info here...
My original glow plug (which failed after 3 weeks) was: TY 24V 1938
My replacement received this week is: TY 24V 1941

Good idea to start this thread. Hopefully someone finds an alternative source. Not sure how long Weber will continue to replace these under warranty. Their wording on replacing (don't remember exactly what manual said) seemed to indicate it was something expected to fail every # of cooks and would be consumer responsibility. But obviously all the failures we are already seeing is way too soon to be expected.

dudemcnally

Reaction score
I looked around online trying to find a suitable replacement. When searching for the keywords on the weber glowplug, amazon recommends these plugs. They are 24v, but the description says in the vehicle they're dropped in voltage a little to help them survive. They look similar to me, but I haven't pulled mine out to directly compare. If I could order a single I would, but $65 is too much for me to take a chance on...

MikeM

Reaction score
I looked around online trying to find a suitable replacement. When searching for the keywords on the weber glowplug, amazon recommends these plugs. They are 24v, but the description says in the vehicle they're dropped in voltage a little to help them survive. They look similar to me, but I haven't pulled mine out to directly compare. If I could order a single I would, but $65 is too much for me to take a chance on...

$65 is for a set of 8 plugs.

Cdweiner

Reaction score
I’m on my third glow plug but since the auger replacement and new software and firmware update, I have had no problems. I spoke to Weber the other day to get a spare glow plug and it’s on its way. The Weber customer service guy did say that they will eventually stock them in Lowe’s and other retailers and thinks they will retail for around $30

Latest Discussions