15 Reverse-seared burgers = guaranteed tasty & guaranteed FLAMES

rwhapham

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Twice now recently I've done reverse-seared burgers. Third-pound 80/20 patties seasoned with SPG, smoked at 225F until internal temp at about 130F, then finished at 400F to char the outside. First time I did both the low-and-slow part of the cook and the sear part of the cook without drip trays. Low-and-slow on the left, high-and-fast on the right. Second cook I did the low-and-slow on the left over a drip pan and high-and-fast still open to the grates on the right. Both turned out amazing; enough so that my family now won't let me do burgers any other way. But both times when I opened the lid to flip during the high-and-fast, the right side burst into flames. And both times the pit was completely cleaned before the cook. I guess next time I'll try the sear also over a drip pan also--I suppose the juiciness of the patties is going to cause flames if exposed to fire no matter what. Just a public service announcement for anyone that might try the same method for burgers. I'll report back if the sear turns out good enough next time over the drip pan.

Twice now recently I've done reverse-seared burgers. Third-pound 80/20 patties seasoned with SPG, smoked at 225F until internal temp at about 130F, then finished at 400F to char the outside. First time I did both the low-and-slow part of the cook and the sear part of the cook without drip trays. Low-and-slow on the left, high-and-fast on the right. Second cook I did the low-and-slow on the left over a drip pan and high-and-fast still open to the grates on the right. Both turned out amazing; enough so that my family now won't let me do burgers any other way. But both times when I opened the lid to flip during the high-and-fast, the right side burst into flames. And both times the pit was completely cleaned before the cook. I guess next time I'll try the sear also over a drip pan also--I suppose the juiciness of the patties is going to cause flames if exposed to fire no matter what. Just a public service announcement for anyone that might try the same method for burgers. I'll report back if the sear turns out good enough next time over the drip pan.
I have been doing my reverse sear steaks with the smoker and the grill. smokefire till 100-110 degrees and then on the genesis for 30 seconds- 1 minute per side.

I have been doing my reverse sear steaks with the smoker and the grill. smokefire till 100-110 degrees and then on the genesis for 30 seconds- 1 minute per side.
Have no problem with steaks, chops, or any other cut I've tried a reverse sear on. But the burgers bring the flames.

that's almost exactly how I cook my burgers, my family reacts the same way as yours...the burgers are excellent! Yes, you do get flare-ups, but nothing that's not easily managed, if you get big flareups, just shut the lid and the flames will die out. No different than cooking on any other type of grill :)

that's almost exactly how I cook my burgers, my family reacts the same way as yours...the burgers are excellent! Yes, you do get flare-ups, but nothing that's not easily managed, if you get big flareups, just shut the lid and the flames will die out. No different than cooking on any other type of grill :)
I guess it was worse because I was cooking 15 burgers each time, on an EX4. Might have been a more manageable flare up with only 4 or 6 burgers. 😁

I guess it was worse because I was cooking 15 burgers each time, on an EX4. Might have been a more manageable flare up with only 4 or 6 burgers. 😁
LOL :)

Are you sure it just wasn't a flare up?
There is a pretty big difference between a flare up and a grease fire.

LOL, yeah...the smallest number of burgers I cook is 10, and mine are 1/2lb each :). I use a 5lb package at a time. I did cook 10lbs of burgers at once and I DID have a grease fire the next time I lit the grill. I definitely learned that 2LBs of beef fat in the bottom of the grill can cause flare-ups!

Are you sure it just wasn't a flare up?
There is a pretty big difference between a flare up and a grease fire.
If there's a difference, then I guess it was just a massive flare up. Though it stayed flaming even after I pulled the burgers. It didn't ignite any grease left in the bottom, if that's the distinction. Just what was dripping off the burgers onto the bars and open flame.

If there's a difference, then I guess it was just a massive flare up. Though it stayed flaming even after I pulled the burgers. It didn't ignite any grease left in the bottom, if that's the distinction. Just what was dripping off the burgers onto the bars and open flame.
This gives a pretty good visual..

the only grease fire i have had was once when it failed to light and pellets kept feeding. after restarting the pellets caught fire... ooops

Thanks for the educating. I will now call this one gigantic flare up because of 15 burgers worth of juices dripping all at once. This last time the flames were enough to completely incinerate the little rubber sleeve on the ambient probe I leave in the pit. Lesson learned.

I like a clean grill so the process below works for me when I only use my SF. Just thought Id share it as a possible solution to avoid the drippings / grease flare up or fire while still getting a good reverse sear.
  • Use a drip pan between lower grates and flavorizor bars (no grease no flareup/fire).
  • Burgers go on lower grates.
  • Put a clean cast iron griddle/flattop/pan on the upper rack to heat.
  • When you are ready to turn the heat up to sear, switch the griddle and burgers from their respective grates, griddle/flattop/pan goes to lower and burgers to upper.
  • Crank up heat, and, at your target temp (500+), transfer the burgers to pan/griddle/flattop to sear.
No big mess to clean up (or chance of a fire) and a nice complete pan sear to boot.

My usual method is to utilize my Weber Summit with a cast iron pan or griddle heated up to (700+) for 15 min and transfer from SF to Summit to sear but my grills are next to each other so it is convenient and it conserves some pellets too.

Hope this helps.

the only grease fire i have had was once when it failed to light and pellets kept feeding. after restarting the pellets caught fire... ooops
Must have been pretty dirty for that to cause a grease fire.

Latest Discussions

Back