15 Reverse-seared burgers = guaranteed tasty & guaranteed FLAMES

Just tried this with a blue cheese crumbled into the mix. Smoked at 250 until they reached 155 then moved them up to the top rack until the smoker got to 450 then put them back down for 10 mins a side. Tasted great, family wants a repeat often!

Just tried this with a blue cheese crumbled into the mix. Smoked at 250 until they reached 155 then moved them up to the top rack until the smoker got to 450 then put them back down for 10 mins a side. Tasted great, family wants a repeat often!
So you cooked your burgers for 10min a side at 450* after they were already at 155* and had sat in the smoker while it heated from 250* to 450*...so you cook your burgers to what 210* - 215*?

So you cooked your burgers for 10min a side at 450* after they were already at 155* and had sat in the smoker while it heated from 250* to 450*...so you cook your burgers to what 210* - 215*?
I raised an eyebrow too :)
Everyone has their own interpretation of what I.T. should be with burgers, personally I prefer Medium burgers, but I completely understand that is undercooked to some. I shoot for a 142-145 IT which leaves the burger slightly pink in the middle. I smoke the burgers at 225 until the IT is 125, then finish the burgers at 375-425 for about 10 minutes total until the IT is 142-145. If I'm cooking for guests I always ask what their preference is and try to accommodate them, I keep my personal feelings to myself! LOL

I raised an eyebrow too :)
Everyone has their own interpretation of what I.T. should be with burgers, personally I prefer Medium burgers, but I completely understand that is undercooked to some. I shoot for a 142-145 IT which leaves the burger slightly pink in the middle. I smoke the burgers at 225 until the IT is 125, then finish the burgers at 375-425 for about 10 minutes total until the IT is 142-145. If I'm cooking for guests I always ask what their preference is and try to accommodate them, I keep my personal feelings to myself! LOL
I used to cook burgers to standard beef doneness temps, but I read a good article about why ground beef should be cooked to 160-165F. The short version is, unless you're making your own ground beef and can vouch for its freshness and the cleanliness of your grinder, ground meat is far more susceptible to pathogens than a solid cut. They are not able to "burrow" into the middle of a steak, so the temp at the edges is important. But ground meat has all kinds of pathways in it for pathogens to get to the interior of your patty. I would NEVER cook a steak to 160F, but in doing a reverse-sear on the burgers and finishing near than temp, I wouldn't be able to tell you in a taste test that their IT was that high. Certainly no dryness or overdone texture at all.

Must have been pretty dirty for that to cause a grease fire.
unfortunately no- this was right after a cleanout. the drippings landed in the big pile of pellets and they must have gone all the way into the firepit. lesson learned- if you have a flameout do not try to just restart without checking the firebox. I guess less of a grease fire and more of a pellet fire?

I used to cook burgers to standard beef doneness temps, but I read a good article about why ground beef should be cooked to 160-165F. The short version is, unless you're making your own ground beef and can vouch for its freshness and the cleanliness of your grinder, ground meat is far more susceptible to pathogens than a solid cut. They are not able to "burrow" into the middle of a steak, so the temp at the edges is important. But ground meat has all kinds of pathways in it for pathogens to get to the interior of your patty. I would NEVER cook a steak to 160F, but in doing a reverse-sear on the burgers and finishing near than temp, I wouldn't be able to tell you in a taste test that their IT was that high. Certainly no dryness or overdone texture at all.
Have you ever gotten food poisoning from a burger? Do you know anyone that has? I don’t. I’ve read all that stuff and while there is always a risk, I consider it minuscule. I know more people who have won the lottery than have suffered food poisoning from ground beef.

Having said that from my soapbox, I say eat what you like. Period. Cheers!

unfortunately no- this was right after a cleanout. the drippings landed in the big pile of pellets and they must have gone all the way into the firepit. lesson learned- if you have a flameout do not try to just restart without checking the firebox. I guess less of a grease fire and more of a pellet fire?
Personally that's how I would look it.
I have seen some pretty big fires just from a pellet dump.

Have you ever gotten food poisoning from a burger? Do you know anyone that has? I don’t. I’ve read all that stuff and while there is always a risk, I consider it minuscule. I know more people who have won the lottery than have suffered food poisoning from ground beef.

Having said that from my soapbox, I say eat what you like. Period. Cheers!
Well, here I go over the edge. That 160 degree temp is very important with ground meat products. There are approximately 48 MILLION cases of food poisoning each year due to improper prep, storage, etc. Symptoms appear between 30 minutes and 3 weeks after ingestion. They may be mild or extreme severe. Most are unrecognized by the individual as due to a specific food item. With those numbers, that is one out of seven people who have an episode each year.

Now, do I worry about most food products? Absolutely not. Do I watch myself with ground meat products? Absolutely YES. They all have SHIT in them. Just reality. Best wishes.

Well, here I go over the edge. That 160 degree temp is very important with ground meat products. There are approximately 48 MILLION cases of food poisoning each year due to improper prep, storage, etc. Symptoms appear between 30 minutes and 3 weeks after ingestion. They may be mild or extreme severe. Most are unrecognized by the individual as due to a specific food item. With those numbers, that is one out of seven people who have an episode each year.

Now, do I worry about most food products? Absolutely not. Do I watch myself with ground meat products? Absolutely YES. They all have SHIT in them. Just reality. Best wishes.
Are suggesting 48 million from ground beef?

Also, if they are undetected, how are they quantified? I absolutely agreed there are “bugs” in ground products as well as tenderized products. If I were immune compromised I would have some measure of care but I worry not about undetectable levels of anything. I’m 50 and don’t know of a single person that has had food poisoning from hamburger. I know a bunch from seafood and I still eat that. I’ve had food poisoning at least once severely and it was mussels. I wanted to die. I get it, it’s bad. That said I will refer to my massive amount of measurable personal experience before immeasurable made up government statistics. I find the risk to be minuscule and the stat of 1 in 7 to be faulty. I will only measure the measurable.
That said each must assess the level of daily risk they are comfortable living through.

That is the approximate number of cases of food borne illness, a good majority of them from meat/sea food products. The numbers are determined (in some cases) by feeding paid volunteers a given number of bugs and then watching their responses (fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, etc.) both clinical and biochemically. By using these techniques, we have achieved the high standard of living that we enjoy. As far as risk goes, until December of 2020, I was told over and over again that there was no risk to a global pandemic happening again. Guess what?

That is the approximate number of cases of food borne illness, a good majority of them from meat/sea food products. The numbers are determined (in some cases) by feeding paid volunteers a given number of bugs and then watching their responses (fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, etc.) both clinical and biochemically. By using these techniques, we have achieved the high standard of living that we enjoy. As far as risk goes, until December of 2020, I was told over and over again that there was no risk to a global pandemic happening again. Guess what?
I must be incredibly lucky. 😁

I must be incredibly lucky. 😁
Or you have mounted the appropriate responses due to exposure. Many of these cases are unexposed (no immunity) that get exposure with a big dose or at an old age........

There is a city-country thing there (money-no money). I was exposed too often, too young and have no problems (even though I am older). But I like to led when dancing with the devil.

Latest Discussions

Back