🔥 What's cooking on your SmokeFire?

As a new SF EX4 user could I make a humble request? When posting pics that make me go running to the store for something to cook, could you also provide some of the cooking details? The pics are awesome but a little detail on how you got there whould help those of us new to SF.
I may be smoking a 2 rib roast this Sunday. I will see what I can do for you.

Didn’t suck.

1B15443A-F5E1-4B89-B67D-E8E047E4F834.jpeg

Reverse seared a London Broil and Cowboy steak tonight. Smoke boost till 115 , then cranked to 600 and seared them. Absolutely DELICIOUS.

Attachments

• 20220102_172000.jpg
    20220102_172000.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220102_171958.jpg
    20220102_171958.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220102_172243.jpg
    20220102_172243.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220102_172511.jpg
    20220102_172511.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220102_172525.jpg
    20220102_172525.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220102-175939_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-175939_WhatsApp.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14

OK - Inquiring minds want to know - based on your pics I went on the hunt for a Picanha and actually found one at - wait for it - Walmart. Now - mine is 2.5 lbs; what can you offer to help me replicate what you did? Please guys - don't just post a picture - provide some details on how you arrived at the picture state.

OK - Inquiring minds want to know - based on your pics I went on the hunt for a Picanha and actually found one at - wait for it - Walmart. Now - mine is 2.5 lbs; what can you offer to help me replicate what you did? Please guys - don't just post a picture - provide some details on how you arrived at the picture state.
I smoked it like you would do your brisket. For this one grill at 225F after a hour I'd put it in a aluminum tray until internal 208F and rest.

I’m not trying to claim my food is anywhere near the level of Dutchie, but IMHO, picanha is best done to IT 125-140. To me it’s like tri tip. I’ve seen people cook that like brisket too, but if you want brisket, cook brisket or a chuck roast. Picahna is a sirloin.

Again, I’m sorry to interject. If you’re not a red meat eater then maybe the brisket route is for you, but if you like mid rare beef, that’s the way I’d go.

Either way, good luck and enjoy!

I normally smoke picanha aswell to 112F internal and sear. This brisket style was an experiment and didn't disappoint. I like to cook my meats different ways just for fun. When people say you can't do it like this I'm the one that will try it that way😂 their are so many more ways to cook a piece of meat then the mainstream people do, and doing a picanha like a brisket is one of them. I like my meat red as fuck😂 but as I said ths didn't disappoint at all. If you like the fatcap of a picanha when you cook it "the normal" way then I highly recommend to try the brisket style out. It was like butter. Best fatcap I ever had on a picanha.

Damn..... now I need to go back to Walmart and get another one! I want to try both approaches. :p
Picanha should be at least a ones a week meal lol. Cheap and oh so good. Same as flat iron. Cheap as hell and in my opinion the must underestimated cut.

I normally smoke picanha aswell to 112F internal and sear. This brisket style was an experiment and didn't disappoint. I like to cook my meats different ways just for fun. When people say you can't do it like this I'm the one that will try it that way😂 their are so many more ways to cook a piece of meat then the mainstream people do, and doing a picanha like a brisket is one of them. I like my meat red as fuck😂 but as I said ths didn't disappoint at all. If you like the fatcap of a picanha when you cook it "the normal" way then I highly recommend to try the brisket style out. It was like butter. Best fatcap I ever had on a picanha.
I meant no disrespect. I am fully aware that people like to experiment like you said. I’ve seen a lot of tri tips cooked like brisket as well. Nothing wrong with trying new stuff. I just wanted him to know there was another traditional option. 👍🏻

Picanha should be at least a ones a week meal lol. Cheap and oh so good. Same as flat iron. Cheap as hell and in my opinion the must underestimated cut.
I cannot agree more. Heck the flat irons I used to buy for next to nothing until they started showing up on the menu at prime steakhouses. 🙄

OK - going to start with the 'brisket style' Picanha this Sunday and try it out on my tough to please nephew as he prefers his beef more or less well cooked. With the price of beef these days I'm going to use it as my first semester 'Brisket 101' course exam leading up to a full brisket at some point in the future. I am also going to try smoking some brined trout filets that came out very well when I did them on my old MasterForge electric smoker. The SF is intended to retire that unit (at least that was part of my justification for buying the SF :cool: ). I bought some Alder pellets for the trout and intend to watch things very carefully as they progress. Hoping the weather this weekend cooperates. Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back